Half of the class got the first article and the other half got the second. They read it, talked about it, and answered some questions I had prepared about it but they could only find all the answers when they read both texts. We haven´t finished the activity yet but I know it is an impressive piece of news, therefore, I want to show the "positive" side of all this horror: Aisha, who is 19 now, is in the US where she will go through reconstructive surgery to get a new nose. Read about this here; at the end of this article you can read the comments about this piece of news; if you write a comment, please let me know about it (it will get you an extra point for optional work!)
You can see Aisha and the women who are helping her in this CNN video. This is one of the photos from the interview.
For the final task, writing Aisha´s Biography, I want you to consider the following questions:
- In what ways is Aisha´s life remarkable or admirable?
- What qualities were most influencial in shapping the way Aisha acted?
- What are the lessons you might learn from Aisha´s life?
- Religion, politics or a personal philosophy often dictate the way people act. To what extent did Aisha act by one of these codes-or did she act independently of any set of beliefs? What about her relatives?
- Would you consider Aisha a heroine? Why (not)?