viernes, 27 de enero de 2012

Methods to Learn Languages

And start the weekend with a smile...

Let me focus on three methods this time:

  1. If you are not sure of the language you may need in the future but you are a lover of multiculturalism and, therefore, you love meeting people, this is what you need: ibabel. I find the method disgusting (Yuk!) but there´s no accounting for taste .



    2. You may try the "Basauri Method," as explained in the Spanish TV series "What a sad life!." I don´t recommend it, either, but it is certainly original and the teacher is... how would you describe him (apart from "daring"), after watching the video? Any similarities with any teachers you have had? I agree with the part about the positive attitude and mental preparation, though, and you? He is probably taking Goethe´s quote a little bit too far: "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." By the way, how would you translate the quote?  




For those of you who have no idea whatsoever about this series, here is a brief explanation. It was written by GonoManiax.

This is a TV-series from Spain about two friends Borja and Joseba, and their "sad" life. Work, friends, family, movies, videogames (mostly Ps2 and retro games), Borja's girlfriend, called Nuria, Joseba's wife and so on. It perfectly describes the life from many Spanish (and maybe from all around the world) guys around 25-30 years old, and also deals with classic stuff from 80s and early 90s and from time to time with modern stuff and internet geeky things such as facebook, youtube videos, etc.


     3. If your real goal is getting better at English, then subscribe to my blog , here you´ll find all sorts of activities (check my Delicious Links), a wide variety of videos...the proof of the pudding is in the eating


I found the former explanation of the series together with the video below, which is one of the chapters translated into English by GonoManiax; this way you can practise the other way round: audio in Spanish and reading in English -and non-Spanish people will understand what I am writing about... Ignore the mistakes in the translation, just get the feeling of the way they talk, and excuse the bad language



Would you like to watch another one of these subtitled chapters? Click here. Not so many bad words in this one but I am not allowed to embed it.



NOTE: A brief apology about method number 3: Sorry, but I have no grandmother  (ESCAPE FROM THIS SORT OF MACHINE OR AUTOMATIC TRANSLATIONS WHILE USING ENGLISH IN CLASS OR FOR SERIOUS PURPOSES) it´s great for fun, though. Check here and here to see how it goes -I don´t think it works with people who are non-native speakers of Spanish, though, you would have to explain too many Spanish expressions and the fun would fade away.

3 comentarios:

  1. María Maseda Varela29 enero, 2012

    This entry of your blog is really funny althought the methods are useless to learn English. From the three methods I prefer the second one. I love the serie ``What a sad life´´ because I find it very humourous and when I can I try to watch it.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. María, I thought my students would choose my blog (just kidding...)

    ResponderEliminar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...