jueves, 20 de septiembre de 2012

Goodbye to the Summer: Summer Songs 2012

Summer ends, astronomically, tomorrow, September 21st; let´s celebrate it with a couple of songs that will probably remind us of Summer 2012 in the future - let me mention, though, Gotye´s "Somebody That I Used To Know," a great hit in the summer but we first heard it in February: click here

The first one is Carly Rae Jepsen´s "Call Me Maybe." I bet you are all familiar with it because there have been lots of lip-dubs with it (check these, for instance: here -the Abercrombie boys- and here -teachers and staff in Duluth High School). As for the song itself, I´d like to know if you agree with the following definition ( I am terribly sorry I do not know who it belongs to!!! My apologies!):

Despite, or rather because of its complete lyrical incoherence (“Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad”), for me this song totally encapsulates the kind of summer vulnerability I so righteously enjoyed as an angsty adolescent. The heat burned out a lot of my anxiety about boys and dating, so all that was left was this kind of insouciant, slightly manic joy; tantamount to leaving the question, “Call me maybe?” on my crush’s windshield.


Call Me Maybe lyrics

And here is the video with lyrics for you to sing along:



As for the second song, Scott McKenzie´s "San Francisco" (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Head)," it was a hippy anthem in the 60s. Scott McKenzie died last August, so this is my homage to him. By the way, have you heard this song before?




Lyrics:

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All across the nation such a strange vibration
People in motion
There's a whole generation with a new explanation
People in motion people in motion

For those who come to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there

If you come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...